Working in Partnership
At William Shrewsbury we value the opportunity to work in partnership with families to best support children in their learning both at school and at home. We see this as joint venture and we are very fortunate to have so much support form parents and extended families here at school.
We offer a range of interesting opportunities during the year where we invite parents and grandparents into school to see first hand what happens in our school.
We actively encourage parents to get involved in many things during the school year including:
- coming along to a Tea and Tissues session for Reception parents on their first day
- family projects for homework,
- attending a large variety of information sessions,
- joining in with workshops and clubs,
- attending regular reading in class sessions,
- observing full lessons,
- becoming a member of the Parent Forum
- becoming a member of the PTA (AFWS)
- coming along to support enterprise events
- watching our many performances
- joining in with family picnics
- coming on family trips at the weekend and during holidays
- emailing the class tecaher or using a Home School Diary for younger children
- attending Parent Consultations
- joining in with special events like the Bedtime Story Party
- coming as a whole family to take part in our annual whole school Family Learning Party
- sharing views regularly via the parent questionnaire
Family Homework Projects
We aim to set each child a family project based homework task at least 3 times a year. These are opportunities to work together creatively to produce something that appeals to you.
We have been so impressed with the fantastic creations that have been brought in so far! We always look forward to seeing children laden down with their wonderful work at the start of a new term! They are always so proud to share it.
Information Booklets for Parents
These things are freely available on the internet.
We have collected some interesting things here for you to look at. We hope they are useful when you are helping your child with learning tasks and for general information.
Parents Complete GuideAchieve KS1 Parent GuideAchieve KS2 Parent GuideInformation for parents - 2016 NCTs at the end of key stages 1 and 2Phonics Screening Check CardsYear 1 Phonics Screening Check a Guide for ParentsWhat will my child learn in Year 1 Guide for ParentsWhat will my child learn in Year 2Parent Guidance for Spelling in Year 2Year 2 Grammar GlossaryBrilliant book list Year 2 checklistWhat will my child learn in Year 3What will my child learn in Year 4What will my child learn in Year 5What will my child learn in Year 6British values a guide for parentsPunctuation Guide for ParentsHow to learn Times Tables with Twinkl - a Guide for Parents
Parent Forum is a group of parents who meet once a half term to discuss issues relevant to families across the school.
The group has been successful in making decisions about provision for families, updating the Annual Report to Parents, planning family trips, suggesting new family events, analysing the Annual Parent Questionnaire, meeting with Traffic Officers and many other things.
We are always looking for members so we have a group representative of the whole school so please come along to the next meeting. We usually meet on the penultimate Friday of each half term at 2pm.
If you cannot make these meetings please feel free to follow the discussions here and contribute by email to:
During the year we hold many information sessions for parents.
Handouts for these sessions will be stored here after the meetings for you to access at home.